The San Nicolas Cathedral, a Roman Catholic co-cathedral in Alicante is dedicated to Saint Nicholas and was elevated to the title of cathedral on 9 March 1959 by Pope John XXIII.
This church was built between 1613 and 1662 over a Mosque from the moorish period and has a blue dome (cupula) that raises to over 45 metres. Inside, the cathedral has a Latin Cross ground plan with six interconnecting side chapels and an ambulatory in the head part. The chapel of Holy Communion, configured as a small Greek cross-planned temple, is considered to be one of the most beautiful examples of Spanish Baroque. At the bottom is the reliquary bust of St. Felicitas Alicante (s. XV) and across the co, San Roque and San Francisco Javier.
The external appearance of the cathedral is quite sober. The main facade located on the east side is of Doric order, and the one built on the south side is of Ionic order. The decoration of the interiors dates back to the first half of the 18th century and is a good example of the Spanish Illusionist style.
There is lots to see in this great Cathedral including the altarpiece of the Animas (Nicolás Borrás, 1574), the Cristo de la Buena Muerte (Nicolás de Bussi, s. XVII) and a canopy of Italian marble and jasper, in 1688.